A Fatter Website

Deltanova has put on a little weight this weekend and not because of too much curry and beer. The change has taken place to enable the website to fit a 10" netbook screen width. Displays smaller than this are nolonger common on desktop machines so it makes sense to make use of the greater screen width. I'm not maximising to fill 24" displays as thats going too far and reading is more difficult over such a screen width. The change forms part of my plan to put more example code onto the site; wider page means less line wrapping. More tweaks to the site are planned but they are likely to be smaller, less noticable steps.

XHTML Valid Once Again

Since the upgrade to WordPress 2.5 I have been a little unhappy that the site wasn't validating as XHTML 1.0 Transitional Compliant. Today I have taken steps to correct this.

Why is it important to have a standards compliant site? Well for starters a site that adheres to the standards should appear the same on whichever browser and operating system combo you choose to use. If my site looks wrong for any reason its probably due to the browser not rendering the standards correctly, Internet Explorer is very bad for this.

This week I needed to use a business site to look up some information. I tried to access the menu system to get to the contacts page but the interactive menu appeared at the wrong side of the screen. This made it impossible to click on the link I needed. I was using Firefox at this point which is for all intents and purposes a major browser; even if it still is behind Internet Explorers majority market share. I then tried to access the site with Internet Explorer and surprise surprise it worked. The developer had created a buggy site to work with a buggy browser.

If everybody out there makes their websites standards compliant then the browsers will be fixed to adhere to them and your page will be correctly displayed on all platforms people choose to access it from. Thats my rant over for now.


The site will look more or less the same as it did last time you looked at it, but a few things have been changing. The first thing you will notice is the great big video window after the first post. This is the Webb Report, a regular commentary on the happenings of all things internet related.

The next major change is to the sidebar (to the right). WordPress has supported widgets for a while and I have finally made the sidebar widget aware. This allows for easier modification of the contents of the side bar as well as for some new additions. The order of the sections in the sidebar may change as I try and work out where things look best. If you have any options on this please let me know.

I have also activated the tag support in the site theme. The newer posts are the more likely to have tags although i might add them to some older posts if I go back to modify or update them.

A few minor tweaks that will probably go unnoticed are those to the font declaration in the style sheet. I have attempted to make the site a little more consistent across different browsers and platforms. The one minor bug that was irritating me, now solved, was the position of the time and date in the header when running on Firefox with Linux. There was no gap between the bottom of the text and the border, now there is a little bit of space which makes it look much more presentable.


After making a few changes to problem scripts and my own typos the site is once again Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional.