Thunderbird 3 Bug: A Workaround

I recently upgraded from Mozilla Thunderbird 2 to the new Thunderbird 3 release. For a few days everything was working fine with the new default settings. I have a few email accounts which Thunderbird fetches mail for and I didn't want to use the new Smart Folder mode. So I changed back to not using it. Everything appeared ok, until the next day. I returned home from work to find no new email. This is highly unusual as there is usually some for of advert for an online store showing me the latest offers, especially around christmas time. This lack of email continued for a few days, to begin with I attributed this to my ISP who were reporting problems with the email system. Today after 4 days with no new mail it was time to explore more options within Thunderbird and try to find a solution to the problem.

The solution came about by chance whilst browsing the Account Settings screen. The route to the solution from the main screen is shown below.

Tools > Account Settings > Click 'Server Settings' option under your problem account(s) > Click 'Advanced' button towards the bottom right > Select 'Global Inbox' option and check the 'Include this server when getting new mail' box.

This process should re-enable your account and allow you to get your missing emails.

Thunderbird 3 Account Settings Menu
Thunderbird 3 Account Settings Menu

Thunderbird 3 Settings Dialog
Thunderbird 3 Settings Dialog

Mailserver Project – October Update

The mailserver project which I have been working on for many months now is getting to the point where it will soon be taking over the role of hosting all my email. No problems have been discovered over the past month and my upgrade script to regenerate the security certificates worked perfectly. A recent update to Dovecot, the IMAP system, means that a little more testing is in order due to modifications made to the config files.

When I finally release my documentation for the process it will outline the working setup at that time. No point in releasing something out of date.

Mailserver – Another Stage Completed

Over the past couple of weeks I have been moving the mailserver project closer to being ready for actual use and another milestone has been passed. I have now reached the stage where my hotmail and gmail accounts are collected onto the server and made availiable via IMAP.

This has not been without problems, I experinced a problem with mail not getting through the spam filter when sent from the local machine but working fine for the exernally received mail. This has now been resolved, although I have to admit I'm not sure how, mainly because I never fully isolated the actual cause of the problem. I suspect it was the system calling the spam filter multiple times whilst processing a single email. Now the next stage is to test how things work for a week or so and watch out for any more bugs.

There is plenty more documentation to write, every thing about the mailserver configuration is full of options to configure it and I want to make sure I have a reference for the future. I still might be on target for having all my other email accounts on the server by the end of the year.

Quick Mailserver Update

I have at long last done a little more work on the mailserver project. The latest thing to report is the addition of dspam to filter out spam. In addition to this clamAV is also integrated.

The next step will be to do some more testing and then plug in another application which should make training and using the spam filter a little easier.

The documentation surrounding the addition of dspam and antivirus to the setup I am working on has been very hard to come by and in some cases is conflicting. Having made significant progress recently I am hoping to eventually have my setup production ready by the end of the year*. *Might as well give myself plenty of time.

Windows Vista – Still Crap

In the past few weeks I purchased some new Anti-virus and Firewall software from ESET to replace my expiring & bloated AVG install. The first machine to get the upgrade was my XP desktop machine; everything went well. I was impressed with the lighter feel to the software and the added fact that it didn't seem to be hogging the system resources quite as much. A weeks trial later I decided it was stable and usable enough to be used on my laptop; running Windows Vista. The install was painless and the software scanned my system and there were no obvious issues.

The problems arose when I came to reboot the machine following some windows updates and some minor web application updates. Continue reading "Windows Vista – Still Crap"