that time of year again when I look back over the goals I set myself
over the previous year and decide on some new ones for the year
I intended to do in 2018:
- Lose weight – Fail, I have put weight on.
- Continue work on STM32 development – Pass. I didn’t get around to using the development board I had planned to use. Instead I continued working with the STM32F103 boards I had. I managed to make my own Christmas lights with an LED strip and conducted some experiments with stepper motors.
- Experiment with CPLD – Fail. Whilst I have the board available I have not yet had a cause to use it.
- Clear out Garage – Pass. I cleared out all of the large items in the garage. There is more room but it still needs a good sort out and perhaps a workbench and some shelves.
- Go 4k – Pass. I have a 4k computer monitor, it has been very useful for programming as I can get more readable code on the screen. The 4k TV was delayed due to cost.
- Finish Back Yard – Fail. I still need to put the last step in.
- Eat more healthily – Fail. This is probably related to my weight gain.
- Perform more data backups – Fail. Not done as many backups as I would have liked to.
- Read more books – Fail. I am still reading but progress has been slow.
- Plan Free time – Pass. I have made time to do a few things when I have wanted to do them. There is always room for improvement.
- Reduce Netflix use – Fail. I blame Netflix for having too much good content to watch.
- Tackle the Rodent Problem – Fail. They are still there. I fear this is a battle I cannot win.
2018 was an OK year. But there is much room for improvement in 2019.
I intend to do in 2019:
- Lose Weight & Eat Healthily - Yes, it’s back on the list as a combined goal but it needs to be.
- Continue STM32 Development – There are more projects I want to work on and I may yet create something useful.
- Buy A 4k TV – Hopefully the expensive TV from 2018 will have dropped to a price that is within my budget.
- Watch Less TV – An odd choice if I am planning on getting a new TV but a goal that will hopefully have me doing other things.
- Read More books – My reading list is growing and I need to make some progress.
- Work Less Overtime – Whilst working some overtime brings in extra cash I have probably been doing too much. I would end up with more free time as a result.
- More Website Updates – I have not been updating the website as much I should. I am thinking of project documentation as possible content.
- Increase Savings – Buying a car this year put a dent in my savings and they need building back up.
- Contribute To An Open Source Project – There are lots of projects I benefit from. There should be something I can give back, even if it is as simple as providing information for a bug report.
- Write Something In Python – I have spend a lot of time writing C++ for the STM32 and have neglected Python. I should write something to keep myself up to date.
2019 there is one must achieve goal and that is to lose weight. All
the other goals would be nice extras. At the time of writing I am
around 93kg. The first step in the weight loss program is to get
under 90kg and stay there. Any improvement on that will be a big
It's that time of year again when I look back over the goals I set myself over the previous year and decide on some new ones for the year ahead.
What I intended to do in 2015:
Contribute to some open source projects – I only contributed a single bug report. The only open-source projects I contributed to were my own. Needs more work. Failure.
- Put more time into electronics projects (Raspberry Pi/Wireless Sensor System) - I have been working on my Wireless Rat Trap Notification System and experimenting with a small OLED display. A variable dummy load is waiting to be built. Success.
- Tackle the rodent menace in the loft - All the insulation was removed, the holes plugged with wire wool and expanding foam. Re-insulated and as far as I know still rodent free. Success.
- Clear out Garage – I did clear out the garage but filled it with bags of old loft insulation whilst tackling the rodent menace. Still need to get rid of the stuff. Partial Success.
- Buy a new Android Tablet – I bought a Pixel C, a vast improvement. Success.
- Write an android application for my tablet/phone – Didn't get around to to it. Failure.
- Build a new PC – I am still waiting to find a new case I like and instead spent the money on a Tablet. Failure.
- Repave Back Yard – Main paved area complete. Needs the edges finishing off and a step putting in. Partial Success.
- Buy a new kitchen bin – Still got the old one. Failure.
- Cook a good Lamb Pathia – Haven't had another attempt. Failure.
2015 was another mixed year. Plenty of successes, but too many failures. On the positive side the successes were in bigger/more important projects. The failures are things that can be addressed in the future.
What I aim to do in 2016:
- Contribute to some open source projects – Other than my own this time.
- Put more time into electronics projects – More experiments, more fun.
- Clear out Garage – Time for another attempt.
- Write an android application for my tablet/phone – I have an idea for something simple.
- Build a new PC – Current systems are around 7 years old.
- Do something useful with a virtual machine.
- Finish Back Yard – A little bit of finishing off from 2015.
- Buy a new kitchen bin – I still need one that matches.
- Cook a good Lamb Pathia from scratch – I like a good curry.
- Eat more fruit and veg – Might have long term benefits.
- Perform more off-site data backups.
- Read more books – Didn't get through many in 2015.
2016 has fewer big projects, so hopefully I will have more time to tackle my list. The three I need to get done are the Garage Clearout, Finishing the Back Yard and building a new PC. All should be achieveble and it will be a bad year indeed if I can't manage them.
Time for a look back at what I intended to do last year.
- Contribute to some open source projects – Failed Completely.
- Put more time into electronics projects (Raspberry Pi/Wireless Sensor System). - Work continues, some code committed to GitHub.
- Get curtains for lounge – Done, it looks more like a home.
- Clear out Garage (again) – Some progress but it keeps filling up.
- Write an android application for my tablet/phone – Failed, never even thought about it.
- Pay off student loan – Done, mortgage is the next big one.
- Carpet master bedroom – Failed, sticking to laminate flooring.
- Build a Gaming PC and/or Steam Box – Failed, didn't have the games to justify building.
- Repave Back Yard – Failed, never even started.
- Use a Linux desktop environment other than Gnome 3 for at least a month – Failed, LXQt was on the list but wasn't in the Fedora Repo. It is now.
So 2014 was mixed, some things achieved some not. Too many not unfortunately.
Time to see if I can complete some of last years goals in 2015.
- Contribute to some open source projects
- Put more time into electronics projects (Raspberry Pi/Wireless Sensor System)
- Clear out Garage (This time I mean it)
- Write an android application for my tablet/phone
- Build a new PC – A couple are approaching 6 years old.
- Buy a new Android Tablet – My Nexus 7 (2012) is starting to show its age.
- Repave Back Yard – It would be nice to have a BBQ surface.
- Tackle the rodent menace in the loft – They are back again 🙁
- Buy a new kitchen bin – I need one that matches the rest of it.
- Cook a good Lamb Pathia – Previous attempt needs significant improvement.
Another to do list, but as before it will be a good year if I can cross a few of them off.