Posts tagged Mailserver

New Year, New Ideas, Problems Solved

Well its now 2010, Happy New Year!!!, and my mailserver guide is still not on the site. It has not been forgotten and in fact part of the guide is already hidden away under going editing. One of the issues that was delaying progress was finding the best way to display code on the site. There are alot of plugins for Wordpress that will do syntax highlighting using Geshi. What I have wanted to do is highlight specific lines of highlighted syntax to make it easier to show changes. I did a little research and found that Geshi already supports the functionality I required but it hadn’t been implemented in any Wordpress plugins. So I decided to modify one. I selected CodeColorer to modify as it already had a method of processing arguments within the “cc” tag it uses.

Read more ...


Thunderbird 3 Bug: A Workaround

I recently upgraded from Mozilla Thunderbird 2 to the new Thunderbird 3 release. For a few days everything was working fine with the new default settings. I have a few email accounts which Thunderbird fetches mail for and I didn’t want to use the new Smart Folder mode. So I changed back to not using it. Everything appeared ok, until the next day. I returned home from work to find no new email. This is highly unusual as there is usually some for of advert for an online store showing me the latest offers, especially around christmas time. This lack of email continued for a few days, to begin with I attributed this to my ISP who were reporting problems with the email system. Today after 4 days with no new mail it was time to explore more options within Thunderbird and try to find a solution to the problem.

Read more ...


November Update

As usual it has taken me until the end of the month to get round to posting something. Normally this is just an update of the mail server saga or something about a site update. Not wanting to miss out such information that will follow. More interesting news is that I am changing my job, moving from a Field Engineer covering the entire country to something a little more localised. It should mean that I have a bit more of a life outside work; about time too.

Read more ...


Mailserver Project - October Update

The mailserver project which I have been working on for many months now is getting to the point where it will soon be taking over the role of hosting all my email. No problems have been discovered over the past month and my upgrade script to regenerate the security certificates worked perfectly. A recent update to Dovecot, the IMAP system, means that a little more testing is in order due to modifications made to the config files.

Read more ...


Mailserver - Another Stage Completed

Over the past couple of weeks I have been moving the mailserver project closer to being ready for actual use and another milestone has been passed. I have now reached the stage where my hotmail and gmail accounts are collected onto the server and made availiable via IMAP.

Read more ...


Quick Mailserver Update

I have at long last done a little more work on the mailserver project. The latest thing to report is the addition of dspam to filter out spam. In addition to this clamAV is also integrated.

Read more ...


Mailserver Update

I posted a few weeks (possibly months) ago that I would get my guide to setting up a mailserver onto the site. Unfortunately I ran into a few security realted problems that needed to resolved. The good news is I have made plenty of notes of the process and it should just be a case of typing them up.

Read more ...


May & Mailservers

May 2008 has been somewhat uneventful on the traveling front, work has mainly taken my to and from the office (3 miles a day). On the plus side being based at home I have invested some time into trying to setup a mail server. Now setting up a mail server was never going to be an easy task, the fact that I still don’t have a working setup after several weeks of attempts is testament to this.

Read more ...