Posts tagged Electronics

ARM Research

This month I have been spending some time putting together a simple development set-up for 32bit ARM devices. Whilst not yet fully complete I am making steady progress and have begun to document the process. This is easier said than done. I set out to do the simple task of making an LED blink to test my set-up. There is a lot more to learn than what I had originally expected. The 8bit Atmega 328P was simple by comparison.

Read more ...


New Projects

This month I have started a couple of new projects. It began as one but soon split. The primary project was to make use of a 128x64 I2C OLED display. It has been sitting on the side for a few months after an impulse purchase. It soon became apparent that I needed a way to generate static images for the screen. Although there were programs out there that would convert a bitmap image into the hex code I needed, many were for Windows. So I decided to have a go at converting it myself.

Read more ...


Make List

I have been making use of the Arduino Makefile from ed.am for some time but recently I needed more functionality from the Makefile.

Read more ...


SPI Bus Problem Solved

SPI_Protocol_Decode SPI_Protocol_Decode

Read more ...


My Raspberry Pi Is Almost Here

I have had an email today informing me that my Raspberry Pi has been dispatched. Hopefully it will be in my hands within the week.

Read more ...


Danger!!! Danger!!!, Mains Voltage

Today I was foolish enough to put a metal object across the two metal rods which support the bulb of my desk lamp. Suddenly it stopped working, Oh bugger. After investigating the base of the lamp I found the warning lable. “Dont place metal objects across the two arms of this product else it will blow the internal fuse and render the product useless” or words to that effect. Anyway, not gining up that easily i opened up the lamps inner workings. I found the elusive fuse. It was wired in series on the low voltage side of the transformer. So i cut away the heatshrink around it to reaveal the blown component. Hmm, cant replace it. So i decided to remove it all together. It now works again but I might endup frying the transformer if i decide to do it again in future.

Read more ...