Posts tagged Code

Termux - Custom Prompt

Termux is a terminal emulator and Linux environment for Android. I wanted to customise my prompt in the same way that I have done on my desktop/laptop machines. Ordinarily I would have a .bashrc in my home directory where I would make the changes to the prompt (PS1). However Termux doesn’t recognise this.

Read more ...


ARM Research

This month I have been spending some time putting together a simple development set-up for 32bit ARM devices. Whilst not yet fully complete I am making steady progress and have begun to document the process. This is easier said than done. I set out to do the simple task of making an LED blink to test my set-up. There is a lot more to learn than what I had originally expected. The 8bit Atmega 328P was simple by comparison.

Read more ...


Who Broke My Toolchain?

It has been a few weeks since I felt like sitting down and working on a few of my projects. Tonight I decided to put in a little more work on trying to get text displayed on an OLED screen (DN2015-001). Imagine my frustration when I attempted to compile my code only to be presented with errors. Now my code will generate a few errors at the best of times due to the odd typo, but even after correcting these I was still having no luck. Time to Google the error message.

Read more ...


New Projects

This month I have started a couple of new projects. It began as one but soon split. The primary project was to make use of a 128x64 I2C OLED display. It has been sitting on the side for a few months after an impulse purchase. It soon became apparent that I needed a way to generate static images for the screen. Although there were programs out there that would convert a bitmap image into the hex code I needed, many were for Windows. So I decided to have a go at converting it myself.

Read more ...


Damn You ISR!

I am sat here on a Sunday evening trying to debug embedded C/C++. For the most part all has been going well and the code has been behaving as expected. I have however run into one of my least favourite problems, the interrupt service routine (ISR). I have a couple of ISR’s and they are presenting an unexpected start-up condition. The flow of the main body of the code is fine. I just can’t understand why I am getting the current output.

Read more ...


Make List

I have been making use of the Arduino Makefile from ed.am for some time but recently I needed more functionality from the Makefile.

Read more ...


Kivy

This week whilst thinking about how to represent an idea as a GUI application I ran into the limits of GTK3. I had a look around at matplotlib and pygame as possible work arounds but neither suited what I had in mind. It was then that I discovered Kivy.

Read more ...


Tmux - Solving The Problem Of Window Names

I was lucky enough to get a book on using tmux for Christmas. Following through the examples I noticed that I was not getting the expected behaviour when attempting to set window names.

Read more ...


Aims for 2014

Time for a look back at what I intended to do last year.

Read more ...


Git Hub - Codecolorer

I have been using Git for version control on my own machine for a little while now. I’ve barely scratched the surface of what it can do but it is still useful to me. I have had an account on Git Hub for a while and have been meaning to either start or contribute to a project. I noticed that one of the syntax highlighting projects I use had not been updated in a while. So I forked the Codecolorer code and applied some updates. My intent is that these changes get pulled back into the main project. In the mean time my version of the codecolorer wordpress plugin is available here .

Read more ...


Plugin Enhancement

My previous modification to the CodeColorer syntax highlighting plugin for Wordpress has been integrated into the official 0.9.8 release. I received a comment request to enhance the modification furthur.

Read more ...


Portable Apps & Portable Python

So I wanted to do some programming in python whilst at work I could have used my netbook but its size can make it difficult to work on for serious code generation. So my decision was to use Portable Apps from a USB memory stick, Portable Apps does not include Python in its package listing. A quick scout about with a popular search engine showed Portable Python as a solution a current Python version bundled with some handy modules.

Read more ...


New Year, New Ideas, Problems Solved

Well its now 2010, Happy New Year!!!, and my mailserver guide is still not on the site. It has not been forgotten and in fact part of the guide is already hidden away under going editing. One of the issues that was delaying progress was finding the best way to display code on the site. There are alot of plugins for Wordpress that will do syntax highlighting using Geshi. What I have wanted to do is highlight specific lines of highlighted syntax to make it easier to show changes. I did a little research and found that Geshi already supports the functionality I required but it hadn’t been implemented in any Wordpress plugins. So I decided to modify one. I selected CodeColorer to modify as it already had a method of processing arguments within the “cc” tag it uses.

Read more ...