I have been using a Linux Desktop machine as my primary computer for many years now. The applications I use day to day are mostly open source and run natively on Linux or through WINE.
Games though have always been an issue. In recent years more games are being released that run natively on Linux. I will now only buy games that run on Linux, no matter how much I might want to play them. But what about the games I already own?
In particular Galactic Civilizations 3. I paid (more than I would do normally) to be a founder for this game. I did so because I enjoyed the previous instalments that I played on Windows and this would entitle me to future expansions for the game at no extra cost. It sounded like a bargain, especially as at the time there was talk of Linux support. Alas the Linux version never materialised and I had to result to booting my old Windows machine in order to play.
I have played the game very little over recent years due to needing to move into a different room and boot another machine to play on a small monitor. Today I stumbled across a post in my news feed about https://www.protondb.com. Proton is a tool built into Steam to allow Windows games to run on Linux. Protondb.com contains a searchable database of users results of attempting to run Windows games on Linux. Galactic Civilisations 3 was in the list as having Gold level support. Digging into the user reports things get better. Over the past 3 months with Proton 3.7-8 users have rated support at the highest Platinum level and a few of the results were using the open source AMD drivers (which is what I use).
Time to give it a go. I followed the Steam instructions on how to enable Steam Play in the Steam Client. From there I was able to download and install the game.
Launching the game for the first time a launcher window appeared showing other games by the same developer. I was then able to launch into the game and found that it worked :).
Then I ran into a problem. Not with the game but with the launcher. To adjust the graphics settings in the game requires the game to be restarted. However the launcher turned into an invisible window. I could click on it. I could see its contents when I looked at the Gnome workspaces overview. I just couldn’t see it when it was maximised. This obviously makes launching the game a problem.
I found the solution in this post. Adding “/nolauncher” run option for the Advanced Startup options for the game inside the Steam Client. The game now starts without any issues.
The only way to know for sure that it works correctly will be to play a few games. I’m now off to “force” myself to play a few games for “research” purposes.