Synergy Problems & Workarounds

This weekend I have been setting up synergy to work between my XP desktop and one of my Gentoo Linux boxes. Both are running version 1.3.1 of synergy with XP being the server. I ran into a couple of issues; now solved, that are common enough that others may find my posting of a solution useful.

Problem 1: The '@' symbol would appear as the omega symbol (on the linux box) even with the correct language and keyboard layout settings. This is a known bug for the project and is already listed in its bug tracker. The worksround is as follows:

At a terminal prompt type:

echo keycode 24 = q Q at at at at | xmodmap -

If successful this should now allow the '@' to appear correctly.

Problem 2: When moving the mouse over to the linux box the cursor would vanish. Initially I thought this to be a synergy problem, its listed in the bug tracker. However this time it is nVidia's fault. I have a motherboard with an integrated graphics chipset (NVIDIA GeForce 6150B + nForce 430), there appears to be a problem with the nvidia drivers for linux for my chipset. The problem releates to the hardware cursor, i.e. when the card itself draws the cursor on the screen. To solve this the hardware cursor must be disabled and the software cursor allowed to take its place. Once this is has been done the problem is solved.

To disable the hardware cursor add the following line to your xorg.conf with the rest of your input device settings.

Option "HWCursor" "Off"

I hope these notes come in handy for anybody with similar issues.

9 Replies to “Synergy Problems & Workarounds”

  1. Thanks for the omega fix here too – bugged me for ages, until finally searching for a solution. Cheers!

  2. Watch out. I just tried this and it’s rendered my synergy unusable as I can’t type anything. It’s like a command key (CTRL, i think) is always being pressed so when I type the letter ‘q’ it closes the terminal. Restarting synergy and terminal windows makes it work temporarily but not for long.

  3. I know this is an old bug and fix, but I was having the same issue since upgrading Mint, however I found the fix never seemed to be permanent. So what I did was to load the standard English UK keyboard layout during install, then add the English US once I was up and running. Then using the keyboard option moved the English US keyboard layout to the top. So I had:
    English US
    English UK

    the @ problem never reappeared, don’t know why, but it seems to work.

Leave a Reply