I've not been very good at posting anything so far this year. There are many things that have been occupying my time and working in heathcare I have not been in Covid-19 lock-down like many others.
The main focus of my time has been on attempting to rewrite my iptables firewall rules using nftables. Getting used to using a different syntax is one thing but I've revisited my rule decisions along the way.
One of the positives of nftables is that I am able to have rules that work on both IPV4 & IPV6 traffic without having to duplicate them. What I had not factored in when starting the rewrite was the affect IPv6 would have on the rules.
I'll skim over the details but researching the rules have resulted in experiments with my router and devices on my network. Reading up on how my ISP implements IPv6 and researching which configuration options are presented on various routers. Just when I thought I had the rules translated I discovered that IPv6 relies heavily on ICMPv6 traffic. This was another big chunk of research. I've lost count of the number of IETF RFC's that I've read through.
The good news is I am nearing the end of the work on that project. I hope to be using the ruleset more widely and troubleshooting as I go. It's never going to be completely finished but as long as it's usable it can evolve over time.
Since it has been a while since I last posted I am using this opportunity to see how the WordPress block editor has changed over time. My initial impression whilst sitting down to type this post is that it seems much less intrusive. I'll reserve judgement until I've made the changes I want but its probably much closer to what it should have been when first released a few year ago.
One of my plans for a while has been to make use of the static site for some content. That however has been suffering from a lack of updates in much the same way this site has. I'm still in the habit of making notes on topics as I research and learn things. There are plenty of things I can write up in the future for my own reference and for others. How soon I get around to it is another matter.
Well I have given the block editor a chance and again it has let me down. I can apply styles manually by editing the html. I can partially apply styles with the editor but it is still missing functionality. Trying a workaround with predefined blocks only resulted in duplicating the blocks content in another block.
The result of the current experiment is that it remains easier to format the html directly to achieve the desired outcome rather than using the block editor. This may be in part to the particular styling that I wish to apply. I can see that for some use cases the available functionality is probably sufficient.
Using the block editor itself when trying to make adjustments isn't as easy to use as it could be. Trying to select the elements without triggering the wrong pop-up menu or triggering new block creation just leads to a frustrating experience. I'm still on the side of writing the plain text and adding styling afterwards by hand. This is why the static site generator is preferable. I get to achieve the style I want with less of a burden than the block editor creates.
End of today's experiment.