It's that time of year again when I look back over the goals I set myself over the previous year and decide on some new ones for the year ahead.
What I intended to do in 2016:
- Contribute to some open source projects – Failed miserably.
- Put more time into electronics projects – Plenty of time put in, much frustration and little fun :(.
- Clear out Garage – It’s getting clearer.
- Write an android application for my tablet/phone – Fail – idea abandoned.
- Build a new PC – Some parts have been sourced, waiting for AMD to release the Ryzen processors early in 2017.
- Do something useful with a virtual machine - Fail, looked into 3D acceleration of a VM. It appears that it is best achieved with a separate graphics card. This requires hardware support which my current set-up lacks.
- Finish Back Yard – Still need to put a slab in for a step.
- Buy a new kitchen bin – I still need one that matches, but it functions.
- Cook a good Lamb Pathia from scratch – Failed – attempt next year.
- Eat more fruit and veg – More cabbage has been eaten (along with pie & mash).
- Perform more off-site data backups - More backups in general are needed. 2016 saw me attempt crypto-ransomware recovery. Luckily a success due to decryption program availability. Backup Now!!!
- Read more books – Didn't get through many in 2015 or 2016.
2016 hasn’t been the most productive year. I hoped to have progressed further with my electronics projects but difficulties along the way resulted in periodic loss of motivation. The PC build was researched and was close to being realised. The VM 3D investigation focused new build on needing 2 graphics cards. Intel’s platform offering made this set-up along with new and future hardware connectivity quite limiting. With AMD’s new CPU offering and Intel’s new chipsets on the horizon the decision was made to delay purchasing core build components until the new year. One thing has become clear, I need to plan my free time to achieve more.
What I aim to do in 2017:
- Lose weight – I have slowly been gaining weight 🙁
- Continue work on STM32 development – I’m slowly making progress.
- Clear out Garage – A few large items need to go.
- Build a new PC – This will happen, I can’t delay it any longer.
- Finish Back Yard – The step will be installed at long last.
- Buy a new kitchen bin – It might happen.
- Cook something new – I will break out of my routine dishes and try making something different.
- Eat more healthily – Less chocolate, fat, carbs.
- Perform more data backups – More off-site backups too.
- Read more books – I have a shelf of unread books waiting to be read.
- Plan Free time – Make time for things I want to do.
2017 has some achievable targets. I three I want to achieve are losing weight, building a new PC and finishing the back yard. I need a good excuse if I don’t manage these.