It's that time of year again when I look back over the goals I set myself over the previous year and decide on some new ones for the year ahead.
What I intended to do in 2015:
- Contribute to some open source projects – I only contributed a single bug report. The only open-source projects I contributed to were my own. Needs more work. Failure.
- Put more time into electronics projects (Raspberry Pi/Wireless Sensor System) - I have been working on my Wireless Rat Trap Notification System and experimenting with a small OLED display. A variable dummy load is waiting to be built. Success.
- Tackle the rodent menace in the loft - All the insulation was removed, the holes plugged with wire wool and expanding foam. Re-insulated and as far as I know still rodent free. Success.
- Clear out Garage – I did clear out the garage but filled it with bags of old loft insulation whilst tackling the rodent menace. Still need to get rid of the stuff. Partial Success.
- Buy a new Android Tablet – I bought a Pixel C, a vast improvement. Success.
- Write an android application for my tablet/phone – Didn't get around to to it. Failure.
- Build a new PC – I am still waiting to find a new case I like and instead spent the money on a Tablet. Failure.
- Repave Back Yard – Main paved area complete. Needs the edges finishing off and a step putting in. Partial Success.
- Buy a new kitchen bin – Still got the old one. Failure.
- Cook a good Lamb Pathia – Haven't had another attempt. Failure.
2015 was another mixed year. Plenty of successes, but too many failures. On the positive side the successes were in bigger/more important projects. The failures are things that can be addressed in the future.
What I aim to do in 2016:
- Contribute to some open source projects – Other than my own this time.
- Put more time into electronics projects – More experiments, more fun.
- Clear out Garage – Time for another attempt.
- Write an android application for my tablet/phone – I have an idea for something simple.
- Build a new PC – Current systems are around 7 years old.
- Do something useful with a virtual machine.
- Finish Back Yard – A little bit of finishing off from 2015.
- Buy a new kitchen bin – I still need one that matches.
- Cook a good Lamb Pathia from scratch – I like a good curry.
- Eat more fruit and veg – Might have long term benefits.
- Perform more off-site data backups.
- Read more books – Didn't get through many in 2015.
2016 has fewer big projects, so hopefully I will have more time to tackle my list. The three I need to get done are the Garage Clearout, Finishing the Back Yard and building a new PC. All should be achieveble and it will be a bad year indeed if I can't manage them.