It's that time of year again when I look back over the goals I set myself over the previous year and decide on some new ones for the year ahead.
What I intended to do in 2019:
- Lose Weight & Eat Healthily – Fail: Whilst I have tried to eat more healthily I need to reduce the quantity and amount of snacking between meals.
- Continue STM32 Development – Pass: Whilst I dabbled with rotary encoders and non-blocking code I didn’t make anything useful.
- Buy A 4k TV – Pass: Ticked this one off the list at long last, it looks great.
- Watch Less TV – Fail: I probably have been watching too much, but then I have watched some really good shows.
- Read More books – Epic Fail: I’ve hardly picked up a book despite it being within reach.
- Work Less Overtime – Fail: I’ve worked more than I expected do to some changes at work. On the plus side it has paid for the TV.
- More Website Updates – Slight Fail: I did some work on setting up a framework for a static site that is more suited for reference style content. I haven’t done anything with it as yet.
- Increase Savings – Slight Pass: They are on the way back up but I have treated myself to a few things so the increase isn’t as great as it could be.
- Contribute To An Open Source Project – Fail: I’ve not spent enough time on my own projects let alone contribute to any others.
- Write Something In Python – Fail: I’ve focused on C++ this year and not looked at Python.
Not the best of years based on what I wanted to achieve. Planning my free time a little more might help achieving my 2020 goals.
What I intend to do in 2020:
- Lose Weight & Eat Healthily – An improvement is needed for 2020.
- Get More Exercise - I need to add a few sit-ups to my day and a bit more walking.
- Upgrade Router – Whilst my router still works I need to look at getting one with better future software support.
- Buy A Laptop – This is the big ticket item for 2020. Almost purchased in 2019 it was put back as I couldn’t get the specification of machine I wanted. Whilst I did obtain a Chromebook which has its uses, a more powerful laptop is needed to replace my ageing machine from 2006.
- Read More Books – I have books mounting up and I need to get through a few.
- Work Less Overtime – I’ll give this another go and see if I can manage it.
- More Website Updates – Might be possible if I achieve my goal of working less overtime.
- Increase Savings – Needs a good push so I can get closer to paying off my mortgage.
- Contribute To An Open Source Project – It’s time I did something more to give back to the community.
- Write Something In Python – If I don’t do it soon I will forget how.
- Make A Complete STM32 Based Project – It’s time to put together what I have learnt so far. It might also give me something to write about.
For 2020 there is one must achieve goal and that is to lose weight. I failed to make any progress in 2019. At the time of writing I am (still) around 93kg. The first step in the weight loss program is to get under 90kg and stay there. Any improvement on that will be a big success.